Thursday, June 28, 2012

My Grandchildren 's Ancestors...

Collin, Elina and Ethan  Easter Sunday 2011

When I get a "bit bored" wading through the 17.000 ancestors on my own family tree I like to work on my grandchildren's family tree, which is of course also my children's.  The nice thing about my husbands side of the family history is that most of it has been worked on for many years by so many researchers .

As I was adding items on to their Pedigree Chart this past week I acquired a new photograph from one of my sister in laws, thanks Sue!


These are the two grandfathers's of my husband when they were missionary's in the Western States in the early 1900's.  Both were husbands of my husbands grandmother...

Mary Mabel Anderson

I know that sounds a little complicated and it is but more than that it is quite a sad story...

Mary was born in 1887 in Fountain Green, Sanpete, Utah the daughter of...

Lewis was a Pioneer to Utah from Sweden and served as the President of the Manti Temple from 1943-1959.





Collin and Ethan, my grandson's and  Lewis's 3rd great grandsons on the 24th of July 2009 at the Simmons Family Reunion looking at the flowers on the Manti Temple Grounds.

As we were driving in to Manti on that day and the Temple appears before you on the hill Collin thought it was a Castle, it is a beautiful and impressive sight.

Mary Mabel Anderson married George Barton Taylor in Manti in 1909 and they had one daughter Elizabeth aka Bessie born in 1911.  After his daughter's birth George was called to serve a full time LDS Mission to the Western States (married men were often called to serve Missions in the early days of the Church).

George was a grandson of John Taylor who was the 3rd President of the
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day-Saints
-
1808-1887
The only Church President born out of the United States (England)


George Barton Taylor 1886-1912
(I see a resemblance to his Grandfather)

While George was serving in Denver he became ill and passed away.  Mary Mabel Anderson Taylor traveled to Denver to accompany his remains back to Manti  for burial.  Met his companion Elmer Bert Simmons, (from Ucon, Idaho) who after his Mission was completed visited her in Utah where it seems they fell in love.


I don't know all of the details but I did meet Mary and Elmer in 1975 and was so impressed with both of them. Mary was a tiny vivacious outgoing lady Elmer was a quiet kind and caring person.

Together they had seven children one of which was my wonderful Father in Law.


Paul Alphonzo Simmons 1920-2004

A lot of history for one Post and I could go on, but let's save some for another day.

3 comments:

Stacie said...

LOVE this post and loved seeing the pics of the grandkids interwoven with their ancestors. Thanks!

Rachel said...

nice job! I will see if I can get Collin to stop playing Legos long enough, to explain it to him.

AnneR said...

You have such a good way of telling a story, and I always love the photos you include too.

Related Posts with Thumbnails