I have an older friend I work with in my church calling as a Family History Consultant who likes to use this expression, “Life is hard and then you die”.
Of course she is being humorous with maybe a hint at the truth. She is one of the hardest working and most dedicated ladies I know.
I didn’t mean to gloss over my 7 years of hard labor in the Cotton Mills of Lancashire as being an exciting or nostalgic time in my life. It was plain and simply very hard work.
At the time not so much my choice of an occupation but rather a necessity in order to help support my family. My mother was struggling to raise four children on her own.
I suppose that I was fortunate indeed not to have worked in the Mill during the Victorian Era. You can read plenty about those horrible times before child labor laws came in to effect.
As for my experience it wasn’t all bad, it paid well and the work was interesting and I worked 40 hours a week with some very fine people, I am still in contact with to this day.
1928 At the Mill Gate
1 comment:
I don't think you glossed over anything. I love your posts. Thanks for the history of you (and everything else).
Post a Comment